Subscribe: iTunes | Email | Stitcher | RadioPublic | Google Podcasts
Closing or moving a healthcare provider practice takes co-ordination, patience, communication, and documentation.
Once you have made the big decision about closing, moving, or merging your practice and have a general idea about the next step for you, your practice, your employees, and your patient and business records you need to plan the continued administrative, technical, and physical safeguards of the patient health records.
Patients and clients have a unique trust with their healthcare provider. They trust that you will provide them continuing healthcare and continued access to their own health information that you have recorded. You are also expected to securely keep their personal health information and follow your professional college standards and health information privacy laws.
In this episode, I’m going to help you with
- Provide clarity about records management in your group or shared practice.
- Guide you to develop health records management plan when you close, move, or expand your chiropractic practice.
- Contribute to the health information privacy compliance.
(Recorded July 28, 2020)
01:49 Introduction to Jean L. Eaton
Are you on Instagram? Me too! Tag me @Infomanltd
03:05 Close, Move, Merge Your Practice
04:32 Continuing Care and Treatment
05:44 Custodian Defined Under HIA
08:34 Patient Records
09:22 Steps When You Close Your Practice
10:05 Notice To Patients
Template Forms – see the Practice Management Success Tip!
Template Procedures – see the Practice Management Success Tip!
12:16 Records Requests, Fee Schedule
14:49 Patient Access To Their Own Health Record
16:33 Moving vs Closing Timelines
18:37 Notify Others
19:19 How To Manage Conflicts
22:08 Information Management Agreement / Information Sharing Agreement
Download the Practice Management Success Tip –
Top 3 Agreements Your Healthcare Practice MUST Have (and Why).
22:45 Inventory Patient Records
25:14 Retention, Archive, Destruction
27:45 Electronic Transfer, Data Migration, Quality Assurance, Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA)
31:19 Practice Management Success Tip Download
33:38 Follow Me on Social Media
This Practice Management Success Tip will help you…
- Provide clarity about records management in your group or shared practice
- Guide you to develop health records management plans when you close, move, or expand your healthcare practice
- Contribute to the health information privacy compliance
Download this free guide to prepare your healthcare practice. Includes
- Key steps to help you prepare for transition
- Template forms for patients’
- Request copy of their own health record
- Request transfer to another healthcare provider
- Access their own information
- Template procedures
- Patient record inventory
- Procedure Archive Destruction Log
- Procedure Data Quality Assurance including the Data Migration and Functionality Testing, Data Migration Planning, and the Data Migration QA Worksheets.
- Procedure Archive Destruction Log
Key Word Search Tool
Did you hear something on today’s podcast that you would like to go back and listen to again?
Or, maybe you heard something on one of our previous podcasts that you want to listen to again, but you can’t remember which one and you would like to find it quickly and easily.
Well, that’s easy to do now!
If you heard something on this podcast that you want to re-visit, go to PracticeManagementNuggets.Live/search and enter the keyword in the magic box.
You will automatically be brought to the podcast at the exact spot where we talked about it.
Rate and Review the Podcast
I am honoured that you choose to spend your time with me today. Thank you for the opportunity to share my obsession about privacy, confidentiality and security with you!
Reviews for the podcast on whatever platform that you use is greatly appreciated!
When you provide your honest feedback it helps other people just like you find content that may help them, too. If you received value from this episode, please take a moment and leave your honest rating and review.
Jean L. Eaton, Your Practical Privacy Coach
and Your Practice Management Mentor
with Information Managers Ltd.